Labels

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Tips For When You're Home With Your Broken Leg

I remember my head being stuck in the clouds while I was home. I was on my pain medication almost 24/7 and was always in a daze and was barely hungry. Here are some tips that I found invaluable during my first couple of weeks home from the hospital.

  1. Pain Management- Know what you're taking and understand how much and how often. If you have any questions don't be afraid to ask.
  2. Medicine Chart- Whether on a post-it or on your iPad make sure you keep track of when you take your medicine and how much. This will help especially when you are on enough pain medicine that you don't know what time of the day it is or if you are like me falling asleep the second your medicine kicks in. My fiance used post-its next to my nightstand table but I like the idea of using Google Drive because you can access it on your phone or computer. 
  3. Stretching - Stretching your arms and other available body parts can help you avoid feeling like a big blob.
  4. Isometrics - The physical therapist I met with at the hospital said to make sure to do them every day. It's easy just tighten and release your muscles, this will also help with circulation to your bad leg.
  5. Elevation - Make sure to keep your leg elevated above your heart when you're laying down. This will help reduce the swelling in your leg. 
  6. Sleep - The first few nights are the most difficult but hopefully your pain regiment will make it easier. Sleeping with your leg elevated on a couple of pillows should help too. 
  7. Entertainment - Subscribe to Netflix and pick up a new show that has a ton of seasons. Ask a friend or family member to pick you up some crafts that you can easily do from bed like crocheting or knitting. 
  8. Food - Eat a healthy well balanced diet. Your body is rebuilding your bones and your muscles, ligaments and tendons are recouping from any damage. Eating well will help your body heal by giving it the nutrients it needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment